The MacValley blog

 

Welcome to the MacValley blog, your first stop for all the latest MacValley news and views.

 

Tom Briant

The MacValley blog

Editor: Tom Briant

 

Click here to email Tom

Click here for Tom's profile

 

 

To search the blog posts please use the box below

Sunday, October 11, 2015

How to deal with a supposed call from the IRS

I just saw a report on CNN.com where people get threatening calls from the IRS, panic, and do what they tell them to do.

Here’s my advice if you get an unsolicited call from the IRS. 

 

Ignore the IRS phone call. It’s not the real IRS. The real IRS mails people first. You have to call them.


From my painful experience with the Real IRS of Washington D.C., the real iRS in Washington, D.C. will send you a letter in an official Treasury Department envelope. You call them, not the other way around. 

Listen, I’ve gotten calls from a scammer who said he was from the IRS and threatened me with the worst consequences if I didn’t call back. I ignored them. I knew that then real IRS mails people.

If you’re really afraid, look up the IRS at irs.gov and find a phone number. They will help you.  

But don’t send money to a PayPal account supposedly run by the IRS. That’s a scam. 

Tom Briant

Editor, MacValley Blog



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

 

Blog Archive