The MacValley blog

 

Welcome to the MacValley blog, your first stop for all the latest MacValley news and views.

 

Tom Briant

The MacValley blog

Editor: Tom Briant

 

Click here to email Tom

Click here for Tom's profile

 

 

To search the blog posts please use the box below

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Tried and True fixes do the trick. Problem with OS X El Capitan Finder resolved with restart

Hi All, I installed the GM Candidate of OS X El Capitan to a wiped hard drive tonight. 

I hit a snag. The Finder wouldn’t work. It only showed me the new beachball of death. 

I got around the problem initially by installing Pathfinder 7.

I reported it to Apple, thinking I had found a show-stopper bug.

Then I thought better and just restarted the whole thing.

Problem solved. The Finder works without any problems. 

The moral of the story is: If your computer doesn’t work, try restarting it. Turn it off if necessary and turn it back on again. 99 out of a 100 times, this will fix the problem. The Indians manning tech support lines tell this to their customers. We who did tech support in the early ‘90s taught this to the Indians, who would call our lines. 

Another problem, not computer related, but indicative of how old tried and true fixes still work. 

I bought a Magic Bullet blender to make green juice. Essentially drink my salads.

I spilled some of that green juice into the machine and it caused one of the three actuators to stick. 

The cure for this is to spray the stuck actuator with WD-40 and wait 15 minutes to let it soak in. Then take a flat blade screwdriver to press on the stuck actuator to free it up.  This is not original. I researched it on Google and YouTube. 

Aha, now it works. I’m mixing up a batch of green juice right now for dinner. 

 

Tom Briant

Editor, MacValley Blog and Chagrined Nerd. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

 

Blog Archive