The MacValley blog

 

Welcome to the MacValley blog, your first stop for all the latest MacValley news and views.

 

Tom Briant

The MacValley blog

Editor: Tom Briant

 

Click here to email Tom

Click here for Tom's profile

 

 

To search the blog posts please use the box below

Friday, March 27, 2015

Why Tom doesn't lust after the new MacBook

The new MacBook offers a glimpse into the next decade’s worth of innovation. 

As far as I know, it’s the first to use the new USB-C 3.1 port. Mini-USB is here. Well, it’s always been here in the form of plugs and sockets since 2.0. USB 3.1 marks the change for your computer’s connection to peripherals. 

That’s part of the problem. I only own peripherals with USB 2.0/3.0 plugs. Apple will take a nice piece of change offering premium priced USB 3.1 to 3.0/2.0 adaptors. The first generation of early adaptors will pay the premium and clutter their desks with these adaptors for USB peripherals, video adaptors, you name it.

I am sure that Belkin and others will bring out USB-C docks, similar to the existing Thunderbolt docks, to manage the cords on a desktop. 

I will not purchase this first generation of the new MacBook because it is too slow at only 1.1 Ghz for my needs. 

I also have a perfectly good MacBook Air and Mac Mini, which I expect it to remain their usefulness for some years to come. Apple’s policy of creeping forward with improvements to OS X each year means a salami slicing approach to aging hardware’s ability to run the latest version of OS X. Each year, the oldest piece of hardware to run the prior version of OS X gets cut off. 

I didn’t buy an iPad until the 3rd generation came out with a Retina screen. Should I wait until the MacBook comes out with a 4K, 5K, or 8K screen? 

All that’s speculation on my part. I do intend to go over to the Apple Store to check out the little wonder and the Apple Watch. 

 

Tom Briant

Editor, MacValley Blog

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

 

Blog Archive