The MacValley blog

 

Welcome to the MacValley blog, your first stop for all the latest MacValley news and views.

 

Tom Briant

The MacValley blog

Editor: Tom Briant

 

Click here to email Tom

Click here for Tom's profile

 

 

To search the blog posts please use the box below

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Problems getting Yahoo! Mail through Apple Mail. Here are three free alternatives

I recently got an e-mail from a fellow MacValleyite complaining that Apple Mail would not receive Yahoo! Mail any more. They use Snow Leopard 10.6.8. 

I then checked my own Apple Mail running under 10.11.2. I found that Apple Mail had stopped receiving Yahoo! Mail early in January. I could find nothing to fix the problem. So I knew I needed an alternative to access Yahoo! Mail.

I need Yahoo! Mail because I have ATT U-Verse and Wireless service. ATT has contracted with Yahoo to use their e-mail as ATT’s e-mail. That’s how I get my notification each month that my U-Verse bill is ready to be paid. 

I can’t ditch Yahoo! Mail without switching Internet Providers. That’s a hassle for the future.

So, what alternatives did I find to Apple Mail for receiving Yahoo! Mail. I found three of them.

 

The first was to use Yahoo!’s Web client. I just used Safari to log into Yahoo.com and Yahoo! Mail came right up. 

The second was to download and install Mozilla’s Thunderbird e-mail client.  Thunderbird has the advantage of working with both IMAP and POP3 e-mail providers. It has many add-ins. The only criticism I’ve read about concerns its esthetic appearance. It still looks the same as it did 10 years ago. 

If you want an e-mail client with an up to date appearance, may I suggest Nylas N1?  It is advertised as an “extensible, open source mail client”. If you want to try the latest e-mail client, this is it. 

Right now, it’s free. It’s easy to set up your e-mail accounts. It only supports IMAP from what I could tell. Right now the developers want to encourage as many other developers as possible to make plug-ins for this app. It is NOT compatible with the Thunderbird plug-ins, though. 

 

That’s my off the cuff suggestions for getting Yahoo! Mail if Apple Mail has stopped working on this account for you. 

 

Tom Briant

Editor, MacValley Blog

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. It does work with Apple Mail, but you need to get a special app specific password

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo mail does still work with Mail. For years it has needed to be the paid version in order to work with third party email of any sort, and one or two years ago they added the need for app-specific passwords. You set that up in their site, with different passwords for Mail on the Mac and the iPhone etc, which are not the same as the standard email password.

    ReplyDelete

 

 

Blog Archive