The MacValley blog

 

Welcome to the MacValley blog, your first stop for all the latest MacValley news and views.

 

Tom Briant

The MacValley blog

Editor: Tom Briant

 

Click here to email Tom

Click here for Tom's profile

 

 

To search the blog posts please use the box below

Monday, August 5, 2013

Further thoughts on Linux and Macs

I’ve received my first reaction to my rant from Sunday.

The key question they asked was, “How easy is it to transfer documents, e-mails, photos, videos, and music from Windows XP to a Mac?”

Good question. The answer is that for a Mac, it’s easy enough for the home user to do it. If you have qualms and $99, arrange to take the Windows XP box in so that an Apple technician will transfer your files over to your new Mac.

This $99 provides you with a year’s worth of services at the Apple Store. Ask about it when you go in.

I confess that I wrote my rant from my own perspective. I’ve dealt with two people who’ve lost their Windows machines to viruses or corrupt hard disks. In both cases, they didn’t have a backup. So if you don’t have a backup, go to Frys/Costco/Bestbuy/Radio Shack/Walmart and get a backup disk.

If you think a hard disk is too expensive, multiply the time you put in creating those files x $10/hour. Several thousand dollars, probably.

As for Linux, even with those two distributions I suggested, you have to put in some hard work. You have to transfer over your files yourself from Windows XP. Transferring e-mail is a royal pain.

Luke, I am your nerd uncle. Listen to me. Buy a Mac to save yourself headaches. Take your old Windows box to the Apple Store and let them transfer your data over to your shiny new Mac.

And Get That Backup Drive!

Tom Briant

Editor, MacValley Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

 

Blog Archive