The MacValley blog

 

Welcome to the MacValley blog, your first stop for all the latest MacValley news and views.

 

Tom Briant

The MacValley blog

Editor: Tom Briant

 

Click here to email Tom

Click here for Tom's profile

 

 

To search the blog posts please use the box below

Monday, December 10, 2018

Tom's observations on the current state of the Mac market 2018

The Mac lineup now comes with lots of power from the Mac mini to the iMac Pro. It will cost you to buy a Mac. 

 

Apple now focuses on professionals, what I call the “I can deduct this on my taxes!” market. If you want to buy a Mac or an iPhone, you’ll pay for it.

 

Some writers accuse Apple of “greed.” I won’t excuse them. They have touched the heights of a trillion dollars in stock market value. They won’t go back to a mere $100 million in valuation voluntarily. They value the cheers from Wall Street more than a good review in Macworld or MacFormat (UK). 

 

My strategy is to use my Mac mini until it won’t run the software I need. This especially applies to the operating system. If the software you need won’t run on your current Mac’s operating system, then it’s time to start pricing replacements. 

 

My first piece of advice for those seeking a new Mac is this: DON’T BUY OFF THE SHELF AT THE MAC STORE IN THE MALL! Go to Appleinsider.com and MacRumors.com, which list the latest deals. If you hold your enthusiasm in check, you can save substantial sums with mail order. 

 

Just today, Fry’s Electronics listed the base model Mac mini at $747 instead of the MSRP of $799. Exercise some patience. You can find a good deal if you look for it.

 

Of course, Apple has us over the barrel when it comes to adding additional storage and memory. My sympathies. Just remember, you want to purchase a Mac for several years. I bought my Mac mini in 2012 with OS X 10.7. Now it’s nearly 7 years later with macOS 10.13. I’ve recouped my payment.

 

I’ll keep writing tips and techniques for getting more from a Mac. Your Mac has a lot of secrets hidden in the operating system. It’s my job to bring them to you. 

 

Tip #1: Make backups with Time Machine if you run OS X 10.5 or above. Use Super-Duper if you run OS X 10.4 or below. That’s not original advice by any means. It will save you from the heartache of a dead hard drive/SSD and the loss of files you spent years creating or just saving. 

 

Tip #2: Go back to Tip #1. 

 

Haven’t got a back up drive? The following retail stores have them: Costco (near the big screen TVs), Best Buy, Frys, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max. 

 

Want an even better deal? Head for Amazon and eBay and Newegg and Tiger Direct. 

 

But Do It! 

 

Tom Briant

Editor, MacValley Blog

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

 

Blog Archive